Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Merenungi Aceh


'Merenungi Aceh', soft pastel on paper, 2005


The December 2004 tsunami in Aceh killing about 200,000 lives was the unforgetable massive disaster. Thousands of peoples were homeless and hopeless. The destruction has left mysterious barren land in many parts of Aceh. No words can describe the agony of the survivors. My relatives, among the other survivors, have lost 64 peoples of the big families in the earthquake and tsunami. I made the painting in memory of the lost souls represented by the man sitting and seeing the ruin from a distance.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you missed some strength in there. I don't know exactly what it is - I'm no artist:). I'm thinking of what if the pic speak more of lost. It could add strength - I guess, to make it closer to the title, don't you think?

Leo Wahyudi S said...

Well, you might be right. but all i thought at the time i made the painting was my deepest concern to those affected by the massive calamity. The lost of 64 lives of my wife's relatives had inspired the painting. and that's all in mind.
loneliness due to the unexpected loses in a barren land might be represented by the pic here.